Thursday 15 January 2015

RSPB's Big Garden Birdwatch (Genesis 1:22)

'God blessed them and said, ‘Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth.' Genesis 1:22 (NIV UK)
 
As I have enjoyed birdwatching so much this year, I thought that I might do RSPB's Big Garden Birdwatch for 2015 this year! I've always wanted to do it, but we accidentally missed it last year due to being too busy and we didn't really know a huge amount about it before that. Basically, it is a huge survey across the entire United Kingdom to find out just how many birds are visiting our gardens and which ones are declining or not.
     To take part, all you need to do is register on the Big Garden Birdwatch homepage and the RSPB will send you a free pack. I received mine on Monday this week, and inside were:
  • A small booklet telling me all about the Big Garden Birdwatch and what it was for.
  • A leaflet with details of how to participate and spaces to write my results.
  • An envelope so that I can post the leaflet with my results on it back to the RSPB.
  • A £5 voucher for the RSPB Shop.
     You can then choose two days: either Saturday 24 or Sunday 25 January. On the day you decide to do it, get your binoculars, a timer, a pencil and a piece of paper, and sit down somewhere in your house where you can see your garden. You can make notes for yourself throughout the hour, but by the end of the hour you should write on the leaflet the highest number of each type of bird that you saw at the same time. (Don't count any birds flying over, just the ones that land in your garden).
     For example, if you see five blackbirds flying into a bush in your garden and disappear, and ten minutes later you see six flying over your fence into your garden, you can only write '6' as the highest number of blackbirds that you saw - because you didn't see all 11 of the blackbirds at the same time. If you didn't follow this rule, you might end up with a record of 250 blackbirds at the end of your hour or something!
     Anyway, it is quite fun, and I am looking forward to it, as it is also something that you can do with all the family, young or old.
     Before you go, you might want to have a look at the 'Videos' page of the website - I have added some of me playing the piano and some more of birds. I am hoping to upgrade the quality of the videos soon - at the moment you can see a lot of little boxes filling the screen! If it gets really bad, just head over to my Vimeo page - they do them in HD.

In Christ alone,

WisdomSeekingScot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. I may e-mail you to verify your comment.

Blessings,

WisdomSeekingScot.